Window, after window, all displaying the same thing. Diamond rings. That mysterious stone seems to have the world in its grip. Everyone levitates to it like a crack addict the second the word ‘love’ comes into any relationship, or when males are seriously out score brownie points with a lady.
Why???? It’s an over priced, well controlled, mass marketing stroke of genius and nothing more. Can you get a diamond of decent size without selling your mother for scientific research? NO! Can you make a statement with a flea poop sized stone hidden amongst all the white gold in a desperate attempt to make it look bigger? NO! Can you feel in any way original wearing a mass produced still available in the same shop a year later ‘token of love’? NO!
Yet still the masses fall for the hype that a diamond means something in the whole commitment thing. Even as a youngster I couldn’t see the reason for the drama around them. But then again when you have a father whole cut and polished opals in his spare time, you tended to not be too impressed with what looked to me like a piece of glass in a fancy setting. These days there are some diamonds I do appreciate, but naturally they are quite different to the usual ‘big as your credit card can handle’ variety. But for the main I still tend to completely ignore the average and everyday, instead drawn to the unusual, and frequently visit the totally bizarre. Partly due to my love of colour and just as important to remember my father’s advice, never be part of the flock and where possible not even be of the same species when it come to trends, fads and fashions.
Slowly the idea that colour in jewelry, apart from the microscopic flashes seen in diamonds, isn’t seen as such a bad thing, but sadly the market has a long way to go. Sometimes it feels like things are going backwards when the major colours displayed in a shop are the ones normally associated with new born babies.
Still, I shall go on in my own merry little way, wearing as many colours as possible and noticing the looks of others at the fact that colour can look good. While some may not like it, and even think me to be a little on the loud side, I have at least done what many seek to do and fail at. I have made heads turn. I have also made others at least think again about the so called king of stones and it’s place in jewelry, also known to some as the great fake of all times. The diamond.
Rant over.
(Puff, pant, puff, pant.)
3 comments:
I can sell my mother for scientific Research?
Who do I contact?
Does it have to be your own mother or can you sell any mother?
That little sparkle of clear rock has been the undoing of many a brave man.
I would try CSIRO, I'm sure they have a secret facility somewhere.
It's got me why on Earth everyone is so obsessed with it. Mother Nature has an entire rainbow of colours coming from the ground. When we all catch up for that coffee, you'll see what I mean. When are we doing that by the way?
I totally agree with you, DD, that is until I fall for a boy (or a boyyy as my teenage cousins text).
Then I just become stupid at the sight of a diamond. Any diamond. It's not really the jewelry after all--it's what it represents.
Post a Comment